Thursday, July 11, 2013

Finding Ways To De-Stress

Since I have accepted I have issues controlling my emotions I decided to find ways to de-stress. I used to go to yoga frequently years ago and remember it not only doing wonders for my bad back, but it made me feel so good inside as well. Its pretty hard to explain, but I used to leave class feeling a light heart and as if a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I also used to be a runner. In high school I ran track and I picked up running again right before I got pregnant and never really got back into the swing of things after giving birth.

I found myself with a day off during the week last week and thought it would be cool to send my son to daycare so I could have the day to myself. I went to the park for a run and when I was in so much pain I could barely move, I sat by the lake for about 30 minutes to relax and recharge. It was nice. Introverts like myself need time alone to think, reflect, gather our thoughts and recharge. I felt nice for a few hours but then I started to feel like my old self again.

I took a couple of yoga classes and while it was great getting out of the house for some "me" time, the pain in my neck and shoulders from attempting a headstand didn't give me the “weight off my shoulders” feeling I was hoping to have. The deep breathing exercises and meditation was pretty cool and the studio I went to is donation based which is great since I’m on a budget. While I did feel good and relaxed for the remainder of the day, I still questioned if I were doing enough to control my emotions.

It’s common knowledge that exercise does wonders for the mind and body. It releases all sorts of good chemicals to improve our mood, it builds and repairs cells which is great for those under a great deal of stress or suffering depression and gives us more energy. I have decided to make exercise an important part of my routine because who wouldn't benefit from an improved mood and increased energy to deal with a toddler? While I know this is important, I also know it’s not the answer to everything and I need to still dig deeper to find the root of my emotional state.


No comments:

Post a Comment